Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas



Gooey cream cheese goodness! These have consistently been a good hit w/ my family and friends. I originally got the recipe from my friend Nicole a long time ago, but the recipe is actually on the back of the Old El Paso Green Chile Enchilada Sauce can. 

To illustrate how much I love these, since Scott is an uber-picky eater and won't eat anything green, I will actually go through the trouble of making 2 separate meals for the two of us when I want these. I'll make him some really simple meat burritos and make these for myself. They also make excellent leftovers so I usually eat on them for a few days and are always sad when they're gone. So enough babbling, here's the recipe!

Notes:
  • You can make the chicken however you prefer. I've boiled sk/bnless chicken breasts and chicken pieces (such as thighs we had on hand) and shredded the meat, but what I usually do is just cut the breasts into really small pieces and cook in a skillet b/c it's just easier and faster for me.
  •  I usually fill my enchiladas up pretty good so all mine will fit in a 8x8 or 9x9. So the amount of enchilada sauce you need to use depends upon the size of the pan. 1 can (even less actually) is enough for that small of a dish, but if you use a 9x13 you need the two.
  • I like Old El Paso chopped green chiles much better than generic brands.
  • I use the four cheese Mexican blend of shredded cheese instead of just cheddar.

Yield: 12 enchiladas

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. uncooked chicken breast strips
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, cut into cubes
  • 1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chiles
  • 1 package (10.5 oz.) flour tortillas (6 in.) 
  • 2 cans (10 oz. each) Old El Paso green chile enchilada sauce
  • 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (3 oz) 
Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 13x9 (or any other size) baking dish.

In nonstick skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink in center. Add cream cheese and chiles; reduce heat to medium. cook and stir until blended and cream cheese is melted.

Spoon chicken filling onto tortillas; roll up and place seam sides down in baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce over top; sprinkled with cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes until hot and cheese is melted.





4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm almost drooling - those look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I am so making these tonight.

Anonymous said...

:-O I have been searching for this recipe for years!!! My ex used to make it and I never got the recipe before we broke up!! I had no idea that all this time it was on the back of a can!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much! My mum made these a long time ago, and she's one of those people who remembers a recipe after she's made it. I've had so much trouble finding it. You are a life saver.