Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"Four Cheese and a Tissue Please" Lasagna

I don't have a pic because I haven't made this in a long time because the recipe was on an old computer, but I finally got it back! I actually saw it in a Seventeen magazine years ago in a V-day special and got it off their site, but it's not there anymore so I don't have a link for the original.

This is hands down the best lasagna I've ever had and I can't wait to actually make it again. It's pretty labor intensive, but it's worth it.

Notes:
  • This is a personal, homemade recipe (hence why I can't find it online anymore) from the girl's family, so there's a lot of seasoning to taste and also may not be written the best.
  • At the end, make sure you sprinkle Parmesan cheese as the very last, top ingredient. If you put it under the mozzarella you'll get a nasty, hard Parmesan crust. Trust me, it's not tasty.

Yield: ? Sry, idk, but it makes a lot.

Ingredients:
  • 1 16-oz. package of lasagna noodles
  • 1 large diced onion
  • 1 hefty Tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3 hefty Tablespoons brown sugar 
  • 6oz. tomato paste
  • 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • Lots of sliced mushrooms
  • Dried oregano, Fresh Basil, s&p, (any herbs you like really) to taste
  • 1 lb. minced meat (your choice: beef, sausage, etc...)
  • 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 tub Ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, to be sliced
  • 3 cups heavy cream, or whipping cream
Directions:
Saute the minced garlic and onion until transparent. Add minced meat and cook through. Add canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with oregano, basil, s&p. Add brown sugar and stir well.cLet simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes and then add the mushrooms. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly. Once warm to the touch, add first cup of Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth. Add cup of of cheedar and stir until smooth. This mixture should be fairly thick.

Assembling the lasagna:
  1. Spoon small amount of meat sauce in bottom of a large deep casserole dish ( FYI: will fill 9x13 Corningware dish to the brim). 
  2. Add 3 sheets of uncooked lasagna noodles.
  3. Pour a layer of cheese sauce
  4. Layer of meat sauce
  5. Layer of noodles
  6. Layer of ricotta cheese
  7. Meat sauce
  8. Lasagna
  9. Mozzarella
Repeat steps until out of ingredients or dish is full. Lasagna noodles and cheese sauce should be last 2 layers.

Top with leftover grated cheddar cheese and Parmesan.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Removed and let stand for 1 hour.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I really want lasagna now.

Anonymous said...

are you sure the pasta is supposed to be uncooked??

Anonymous said...

i remember that recipe too..i've been looking for it for like 3 years!!! thanks for finding it again..it's SOOO good!! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG. I had no hope that I would ever find this recipe again. I made a copy out of the magazine YEARS ago and lost it recently. The cheese sauce is the best. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finding this! I had used this recipe to impress my husband's family and friends at a potluck some time ago. It was the first dish that got finished. I lost the recipe when I moved out. So happy to find it again!