Saturday, December 29, 2007

Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy


I got this recipe from Paula Deen. I've made it twice now, the second time was better than the first, but they're still not exactly how I would like them. I just haven't been able to get that nice crispy texture yet, but if I can I'll be sure to repost to let you know!
Notes:
  • I used 3 tenderized round steaks (picture in package below)
  • I did not follow the parts of the recipe that are in orange. I did them the first time, but didn't like the results so the second time I didn't do them at all and preferred it. I decided to include them anyway so you can decide!
  • House Seasoning: 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup black pepper, 1/4 cup garlic powder. Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups, plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • 8 (4 oz) tenderized beef round steaks (have butcher run them through cubing machine)
  • 1 teaspoon House Seasoning (recipe under notes)
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 quart whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (recommended: Ac'cent), optional (I didn't use and my gravy has turned out fine)
  • 1 bunch gren onions, or 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
Directions:
 Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 side of the meat w/ House Seasoning and the other side with seasoning salt, and then dredge the meat in buttermilk and then flour. 
Heat 1/2 cup oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 or 4 of the steaks to the hot oil and fry until browned, about 5-6 minutes per side. Remove each steak to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining steaks, adding up to 1/4 cup more oil, as needed.
 
 Make the gravy by adding the 2 Tablespoons remaining flour to the pan dripping, scraping hte bottom with a wooden sppon. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the salt. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently until the flour is medium brown and the mixture is bubbly. Slowly add the whole milk and the Ac'cent, if using, stirring constantly. Return the steaks to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium - high heat. Reduce the heat to low, and place the onions on top of the steaks. Cover the pan, and let sinner for 30 minutes.







No comments: